Sunday, March 25, 2012

baby | custom burp cloths

I found the cutest tutorial for baby burp cloths here.  It looked like a fun little project, and Joann Fabrics was conveniently having a 25% off your entire purchase sale (including sale fabrics!!!) this weekend.  I got 10 inches each of 2 different patterns along with 10 inches of chenille (I also used a 40% off coupon on this fabric, it's on the pricier side) and 10 inches of flannel.  The tutorial calls for chenille, but I wanted to give the flannel a try too because it was on sale and super soft.  I spent $6 total on fabric and made 6 burp cloths with a little fabric left over.  The cheapest burp cloths they have on the Babies 'R' Us website run $5.99 for 3 (and it goes up a lot from there) -- twice the cost of my homemade ones.





I was so happy with how these turned out that I went back to Joann Fabrics again today to pick up a little more fabric while the sale was still going on.  These are a great size, but I would like to make another set with longer dimensions, maybe around 9x18, just to see if the extra length is helpful (the tutorial is for burp cloths that are 9x14).

Two things that I did in addition to the tutorial instructions:
1) After stitching around the edge of the fabric while the right sides are together, snip off the corners a little above the stitching.  This creates really smooth, nicely shaped corners when you turn the fabric right side out.
via
2) I like to topstitch around the edge once I've turned the burp cloth right side out to give it a more finished, professional look.

These would also make a great gift and can be customized to suit the style and personality of the receiver!


3 comments:

  1. so cute! i've made a few burp cloths, but would like to make some more before the baby arrives. i'm always looking for some more inspiration and recommendations from people! i love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, what size(s) have you found work well? I figure one set of small/medium and one set of large should be a good start but I don't know how large I should make them....

      Delete
  2. So I'll be commissioning you when the time comes... :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...