Wednesday, November 14, 2012

travels | in which mommy doesn't make a list

A few phrases people don't often use when describing me: spontaneous, laid back, spur of the moment.  What can I say? I like to plan, organize, and arrange.  I once made my little sister cry because she didn't want to stand where I wanted her to stand for Easter family pictures.  Now I'm known as the Easter picture Natzi.  Nice.

So of course, when it comes to packing I like to make a list, pack everything on the list, and double check that everything on the list is in fact packed.  When I do forget things (How does this always happen?!  What about my lists?!), it seriously messes with me.  If you're also a list maker, then you know what I mean.  If you aren't a list maker, then feel free to laugh along with all the other artsy, go with the flow, spontaneous people.  It's ok; all of us type A's will laugh when you forget to pack underwear.

So this brings me to the actual story.  Last Friday I found out that B, my dear friend and freshman year college roommate, would be up in Hillsdale for the weekend!  Seeing as we're not terribly far from Hillsdale, I decided to drive up with Elise for the day to see her.  So I grab the diaper bag, hop in the car with Elise, and we're on our way.  On the drive up I happen to talk with C, another dear college friend, and learn that she will also be coming into Hillsdale.....tomorrow.  I really want to see her!  But we didn't plan for this.  I didn't make any lists, pack any gear,  or double check anything.  So do we try to stay the night with no travel crib, noise machine, favorite swaddle blanket, pajamas, church clothes or toiletries?  Even before having a baby, the answer would have automatically been no.  I don't have any of my "stuff".  Duh.  Except now I have a baby with even more stuff.  But you know what? Something about having a baby and not being able to control everything has made me a little more flexible, dare I even say a little more laid back?  I know, I hardly believe it myself.  So on US 12, halfway to Hillsdale, I decide Elise and I are staying the night.  No gear, no extra clothes, no nothin'.  

Big news guys, guess what....you can get almost anything you might ever need from the travel size aisle Walgreens.  I know, who would have guessed?!  You can actually travel, happily, with practically NOTHING -- mind blown.  I borrowed a shirt to wear to church from V, swaddled Elise in my jersey scarf at bedtime, and we had the best time ever.  No stress, no worrying about not having the noise machine, and only one minor blowout (I did miss my cloth diapers - no blowouts with those).  When we ran low on disposable diapers Sunday morning, we borrowed a few from the church nursery.  When she got a little poop on her pants, we washed them in the sink.  Easy peasy.  So, to all my dear type A, plan ahead friends: if you ever find yourself on a spontaneous trip, take heart, everything you need you can probably get from Walgreens.


Here are a few pictures from our wonderful weekend away:

meeting Aunt B for the first time

hangin' out with Aunt C at Finish Line for Sunday brunch

at Aunt V's house

sitting up (with a little help from the couch)

go here for the tutorial I used for Elise's tunic

  

                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...