Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Belated Pi Day

Yesterday I tried out a new pie crust recipe in honor of Pi Day.  Say hello to the Cream Cheese Pie Crust:
I can't say enough good things about this recipe.  The dough is very easy to work with and the result is well worth the effort.  It was the most flaky, delicious, melt-in-your-mouth pie crust I have ever made. 

I used a really basic apple pie recipe for the filling.  I don't know where it originally came from.  I scribbled it on a piece of paper at some point and have used it as a bookmark in my Betty Crocker ever since.

Apple Pie Filling:
5 or 6 Granny Smith Apples
Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Cup White Sugar
3 Tablespoons Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon

After you peel and slice the apples, sprinkle some lemon juice on them to keep them from turning brown.  Then in a separate bowl, mix the brown sugar, white sugar, flour, and cinnamon together.  Coat the apples in the sugar mixture.

Layer the apples in the pie crust, dot some butter on top, add a lattice top and flute the edge. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 min and then at 350 for another 40 minutes.


Tips: 

I always roll my pie crust out between two sheets of plastic wrap.  It keeps the pie crust from sticking and makes it a breeze to transfer into the pie plate.

The cream cheese pie crust recipe is a ONE crust recipe.  I did not read that part of the recipe initially and tried to make a two crust pie out of a one crust recipe.  Needless to say, I barely scraped together enough dough for the lattice top.  So if you plan to make a two crust pie, double the recipe. 

                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...